Re: [DEBIAN] Why does sendmail depend on procmail?

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> I take nothing away from procmail when I say:  Deliver was also
> designed for extreme levels of robustness.  If you wish to praise
> procmail, be my guest.  If you wish to assert that Deliver is somehow
> inferior, however, I must demand either specifics or a retraction.

Speaking as the current maintainer of deliver, let me make a few comments.

1. RedHat uses deliver exclusively at it's MDA for sendmail.  I can't
   think of anything deliver can do that can't be done equally as well in
   procmail.
2. As far as I can tell, deliver is orphaned upstream.  Since I adopted
   deliver, I've been unable to find the upstream source that the debian
   package is based off of.  I got it in the old source package format,
   and hacked together something that resembles what the original source
   should be, but I can't find a recent copy of the upstream source
   anywhere (including on sunsite/tsx-11).
3. deliver support was removed after a discussion on IRC between myself
   and the sendmail maintainer.