Re: MaintainerDatabase Copyright

Hi,
>>"Kai" == Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> writes:

>> Since the GPL requires full disclosure of the sources, it also
>> prevents collection of data under points a and b.

Kai> I don't see how. You might as well argue that my compiler is a
Kai> part of the program source.

Kai> The extra data is not needed to produce the output, in fact, from
Kai> looking at the output, you can't tell the difference. That's
Kai> stronger than with the compiler.

GPL> The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work
GPL> for making modifications to it.

	The modifications are made to the raw database, which also
 contains confidential information.

Kai> I believe this argument is (extremely) bogus.

	I am not a lawyer, and I would hesitate to play these kind of
 semantic games.

>> Finally, I have seen nothing that addresses concerns people have
>> under point c, apart from opinions that the the people offering the
>> opinion did not share the concern. This is not a solution.

Kai> Firstly, I'm far from convinced that we actually _need_ a
Kai> solution. Those people can always opt for "don't publish". (On
Kai> the other hand, this is hardly an option for people who want less
Kai> restrictions.)

	In other words, either choose GPL or do not publish the data?

Kai> Secondly, I'm not convinced that we have any legal ground on
Kai> which we can prevent such changes.

	In which case the licence is meaningless, and you should have
 no problems with it ;-). You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Kai> And thirdly, the PGP solution seems quite sufficient to make
Kai> changes obvious.

>> If you can address these issues, I will consider changing the
>> licence.

Kai> How about you addressing our concerns?

	Umm, I rovieded a solution. You did not like it. How about you
 provide a solution that addresses the needs for people who wish to
 distribute the data in an immutable form, as wel as your concerns.

	I'll accept the solution, as long as it doesn't just meet your
 needs (and the hell with the opposition ;-)

	Show me an acceptable compromise and I'll adopt it.

	manoj

--
 ...when fits of creativity run strong, more than one programmer or
 writer has been known to abandon the desktop for the more spacious