Re: MaintainerDatabase Copyright

>>"Richard" == Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:

Richard> The first questionnaire provided two options:

Richard> How can we redistribute the information about your location:
Richard> [ ] Can only be distributed amongst debian developers
Richard> [ ] Please consider this GPL

Richard> I suspect that a number of developers crossed the second box.

Richard> Now, "Please consider this GPL" is not an empty phrase.  It
Richard> carries a large set of implicit conditions and assumptions.
Richard> While it is not entirely clear (to me) how the GPL can be
Richard> applied to something that is not a program, some parts of it
Richard> do have obvious analogues:

	I think that the GPL is not really valid for non-programs.

Richard> - The data should be free in the sense that free software is
Richard> free. That is, everyone who receives it must have the right
Richard> to use, modify, and/or distribute the data, and to charge for
Richard> distribution if that is desired.

	Some people (and I now agree with them) have problems with
 this. I do not want anybody changing my data.

Richard> - Everyone who receives a processed form of the data must
Richard> also receive, or have access to, the "source" of the data,
Richard> which the GPL defines as "the preferred form of the work for
Richard> making modifications to it".

	This is the other problem. We can't give out the original
 dataset, since it contains data from people who wish to have
 it be confidential. (People who checked box 1).

	I do not think that a GPL is possible, under the
 circumstances, without violating the wishes of people who checked box
 1, which I am not prepared to do.

Richard> - Any modified works must carry prominent notices stating who
Richard> changed the data and the date of any change.

Richard> - You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the
Richard> data except as provided by the GPL.

Richard> It should be clear that this is not equivalent to "do what
Richard> you want with this data".  The data collectors are not free
Richard> to change the license in ways that are not compatible with
Richard> the GPL.  At least, not without going against the expressed
Richard> wishes of the developers who crossed that second box.

	Right. I think we'll have to toss out the information from the
 developers who checked the GPL box, and redo them again, asking them
 to send in a fresh set individually.

	Sorry, folks. Chalk this up to inexperience.

 It's better to be pissed off than pissed on.