Re: repartitioning without destroying current partition

On Tue, Sep 30, 1997 at 05:15:52PM -0400, Sue Campbell wrote:
> Is it possible to repartition a drive without damaging the contents of
> an existing partition? I've heard that some other distributions have this
> capability and it is a shame that we have no mention of this in our
> installation instructions. We don't want other distributions to have
> a leg up on us in any aspect.
> I'm guessing that it's done using a program that smashes the contents
> of the partition to the beginning of that partition. I realize it's
> a bit risky, but using the current method, you destroy the contents
> anyway.
> - Sue

Under DOS, you have to defragment your partition (so that at the end of it
is free disc space), then you can lower the end of it with FIPS.EXE (free

It works good, but you cannot make your partition bigger this way (IRC). You
can however keep a copy of your partition table (and restore it). Then you
have the old way again. All a bit risky, though.

SuSE Linux CD's ships with FIPS.EXE, as we could do. I started Linux just
this way.

"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."
Marcus Brinkmann