repartitioning without destroying current partition

Is it possible to repartition a drive without damaging the contents of
an existing partition? I've heard that some other distributions have this
capability and it is a shame that we have no mention of this in our
installation instructions. We don't want other distributions to have
a leg up on us in any aspect.

I'm guessing that it's done using a program that smashes the contents
of the partition to the beginning of that partition. I realize it's
a bit risky, but using the current method, you destroy the contents
anyway.

- Sue