Re: Once again: libc6 packages compatibility etc...

> * several packages already do not contain "lib"
>
> Thus, it seems to me a good idea to drop "lib" in package names where
> possible, but IMHO this cannot systematically  be used to distinguish
> libc5 from libc6 packages.

we shall not rename ncurses to libncurses, the name is already long
enough. we shall not rename libc6 to c6, the old name is fine.

a maintain should choose the prefered name for the library, there is no
advantage with a name starting with "lib".

btw : i maintain giflib, and renamed the libgif* packages to giflib*,
so source name and binary name are in sync. this might be confusing, but
any lotution would be confusing.

andreas

> However, this can be done, but then the whole distribution will be
> inconsistent.

a) we don't want to clasify packages by name. that's what section is for.
b) if we want to be conssistent, we should use the upstream name and not
rename anything. this will end in libc6, ncurses and giflib.

andreas