Re: Handling Typical Installations

On Sun, Sep 28, 1997 at 02:25:57AM -0500, Guy Maor wrote:
> It's elegeant, but it still relies on dselect to do the work.  The
> first time user is scared off by dselect.  Indeed, dselect works well
> when making relatively small changes or when doing upgrades.  It's
> easier to get into trouble when doing full installs.
>
> I think a simple front end script which feeds lists of packages into
> dpkg --get-selections would be easier.  dselect --install is then
> called to do the installation.  The user would select these profiles,
> and could select as many as he wants.

Couldn't we have another, simple, menu program to select one of
these profiles, and it would call dpkg with the appropriate
profile package? (Or dump them into dselect if they want to do it
themselves.)

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.