Re: Handling Typical Installations

On Fri, Sep 26, 1997 at 11:47:30PM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, David Engel wrote:
>
> > We simply create a new section (let's call it "typical" for now) and
> > populate it with dummy packages that don't contain any files but
> > depend on the desired set of real packages.  For example, we could
>
> I suggested this a while back,  and it was met with a favorable response

I'm not surprised.  The solution is too simple to not have been
thought of before.

> (this was a few months ago when we were arguing about replacing dselect).
> I think that part of the problem is getting the ball rolling.  Another

I wonder why we haven't heard from some of the people who could make
this official.  Bruce, Guy, Brian, et al, where are you?

> thing is that the proposed Diety standard includes something like this,
> called "profiles".

"Profiles" is a good name.  I like that.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road