Re: RPM (Was Re: Deity project schedule problems)

Paul Seelig wrote:

>                     Obviously people have serious troubles installing RPM
> packages from Redhat on SuSE and vice versa because of small but
> effective differences in the specific packages which are each tailored
> for a specific Linux system.  So it looks like in the end it is no
> real solution using the same complicated packaging format (like RPM
> definitely is) without further standardizations among different
> distributions.

YES.  Thank you!  Last time this discussion came up, I argued that the
"universal linux package manager" goal was a dangerous illusion, precicely
for this reason.  Now that non-RedHat distributions are using RPM, I have
been vindicated.

Having Debian move to RPM would increase the chaos in the RPM world, not
lessen it.  We'd be yet another incompatible system.  A universal package
manager requires total standardization of _everything_.

--Galen