Re: I intend to stand for the project leadership

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 1997 20:45:00 PDT Bruce Perens (bruce@debian.org)
> wrote:
>
> > From: Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org>
> > > I thought this VP titles/whatever were dead.
> >
> > What's in a name? Assistant project leader, V.P., who cares? The essential
> > fact is that work is delegated to someone, by the project leader.
> >
> > > I thought we agreed on a dictatorial leadership, and that's all.
> >
> > Yes, but that doesn't mean I am going to do everything by myself. Being
> > a non-profit does not mean that we must eschew a management structure.
>
> Ok, but a lot of people do a lot of things (Guy with the ftp archive, Sue with the web page, etc...). Having these titles just sounds like VPs are more important than others.
> Read: except you Bruce as Project Leader, noone should have pompous titles.
>
> Sounds silly eh ? I know but I have an epidermic reaction with the terms VP, President, CEO, etc... Especially when it comes to projects like Debian.

For this very reason I have chosen Coordinator as a more descriptive term
for my "superior" position in the testing group for this very reason. I
don't really see any problems with "pompous" titles...you have to call
them something.
Would you feel more comfortable calling Bruce "Master" and his appointees
"SlaveN" (where N is a unique number for each individual)?

Waiting is,

Dwarf