crypt in libc6

On Sep 24, Guy Maor wrote
> dark@xs4all.nl (Richard Braakman) writes:
> > [moved to debian-private]
> Why?

[I can see no reason for this to be on -private too. Also, I'd like this to
be archived, so this goes to -devel]

> > So what is the crypt code doing on master?  Is there a policy exception
> > for libc6?

The last time there was discussion about crypto was (IIRC) when I asked if
mutt could go back from non-US to main. The concensus then was that packages
that contain crypto code should go to non-US, but that there was no problem
with packages that have hooks for crypto going to main [*] (this is now in
the policy manual).

[*] The extreme example of hook was the filter through shell command
in vi(m) :-)

> I've been waiting for somebody to open this can of worms.  This is going
> to be a real pain in the ass as lots of packages want to link against
> libcrypt.

That need not necessarily be a problem. If they don't always require
libcrypt, they could it loaded at runtime. (the package would Suggest:
libcrypt, but not Depends: libcrypt). libcrypt itself should go on non-US
(and be maintained outside of the USA).

Now consider my old suggestion: mirror non-US into the US (import is not a
problem) on an FTP site that, in some way [#], tries to ensure only US
citizens download from it (because export is the problem).

Result: we comply with US regulations, and both US and non-US users have
easy access to libcrypt &co.

[#] check if the client is *.us, or put it in a non-readable dir whose name
is in a README that explains "you have to be a US citizen to download from
here", or any of the other methods currently employed by sites carrying
crypto software in the US.

Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,