Re: kde and files location

On Sep 22, Mark Baker wrote
> On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Bart Schuller wrote:
> > Can we please please *really* leave /opt alone without a d*mn good
> > reason?
>
> But installing packages in it is precisely what it is for. Not by the OS,
> but for third party packages. What else do you use it for?

For installing third party packages. Using whatever means that package
provides (mostly "untar into dir of your choosing"). Things like the
Solid database server, or Applix, or Netscape (when I choose not to use
the Debian installer), or the WP beta.

Most of my resistance against using /opt actually stems from the
inability of Debian to handle filesystems shared between machines. I use
/opt, it's big, and I want to NFS share it. Ideally, it would carry with
it its own /var/lib/dpkg.

/usr is tied to /var because /var contains the packaging system data
about stuff on /usr. Why start using another top-level dir, /opt, but
still tie it to the rest of the machine? With the freedom to choose your
own partitioning should also come the freedom to decouple filesystems
from one particular machine.

--
Bart Schuller                  schuller+sig@lunatech.com At Lunalabs, where the
Lunatech Research              http://www.lunatech.com/  future is made today..