Re: kde and files location

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Bart Schuller wrote:

> > 	Hmm. Well, the original netscape files are not part of Debian,
> >  it is a binaty only distribution anyway (I don't know if that is
> >  relevant), so the installer may legitimately put netscape under
> >  /opt. I think.
>
> Here we go again. It's not a question of "can we put this under /opt?".
> Reread the first paragraph. Netscape can be trivially installed anywhere
> you want, it gets installed by Debian, so: it goes in /usr.

Yes; I agree that anything we (as OS vendors) can put in /usr, we should,
including Netscape. Were it not possible, I would not have any big
problems about using /opt for netscape though, since it comes as a binary
distribution from a third party.

> Can we please please *really* leave /opt alone without a d*mn good
> reason?

But installing packages in it is precisely what it is for. Not by the OS,
but for third party packages. What else do you use it for?