Re: kde and files location

On Sep 22, Manoj Srivastava wrote
> >>"Brian" == Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:
> >> No, this is not correct. We, as Debian, *Never* put things under
> >> /opt. Other people (not Debian) do. Software on Debian FTP sites
> >> *never* goes into /opt. This seems a clear and objective
> >> distinction.
>
> 	Hmm. Well, the original netscape files are not part of Debian,
>  it is a binaty only distribution anyway (I don't know if that is
>  relevant), so the installer may legitimately put netscape under
>  /opt. I think.

Here we go again. It's not a question of "can we put this under /opt?".
Reread the first paragraph. Netscape can be trivially installed anywhere
you want, it gets installed by Debian, so: it goes in /usr.

Have you considered that /opt may actually already be in use by lots of
people? At our site it is shared between several machines. I know it can
be because I know there's no Debian packaging system from any specific
machine mucking with it.

Can we please please *really* leave /opt alone without a d*mn good
reason?

--
Bart Schuller                  schuller+sig@lunatech.com At Lunalabs, where the
Lunatech Research              http://www.lunatech.com/  future is made today..