Re: debstd-like tool for those who don't want to use debmake

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> On Sun 21 Sep 1997, Joey Hess wrote:
> > I've been using debstd since it came out, and I appreciate it, but I have
> > always had some nagging doubts about it. And I've seen postings by others
> > who have problems with debstd as well. So I spent today prototyping a
> > replacement. But first, some of the problems with debstd:
>
> please look at automake. i like it because :
>  - it's written in perl (it's easier to read perl than shell)
>  - it's well documented
>  - it takes an input file, and generates a (more or less :-) readable
>    output.
>
> what about createing debian/rules from debian/rules.ar and create an
> autorules program ? that the way you should go in my opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly!

We have a lot of simple rules (our packaging policy) that would be
easily implemented as AR_ macros. That would simplify the task
of writing and updating debian/rules .

I think the deb-make utility is very useful for a novice mantainer,
but I don't like the debstd "blackbox" style. Too rigid. Adding an autorules
utility will enhance the "friendliness" of our packaging system a lot.

--
Enrique Zanardi					ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental