Re: debstd-like tool for those who don't want to use debmake

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
>
> > On Sun 21 Sep 1997, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > I've been using debstd since it came out, and I appreciate it, but I have
> > > always had some nagging doubts about it. And I've seen postings by others
> > > who have problems with debstd as well. So I spent today prototyping a
> > > replacement. But first, some of the problems with debstd:
> >
> > please look at automake. i like it because :
> >  - it's written in perl (it's easier to read perl than shell)
> >  - it's well documented
> >  - it takes an input file, and generates a (more or less :-) readable
> >    output.
> >
> > what about createing debian/rules from debian/rules.ar and create an
> > autorules program ? that the way you should go in my opinion.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly!

I disagree wholehertedly ;-)

I must admit I don't know any details about automake so please correct me
if I'm totally wrong. It looks like automake is like imake but much more
flexible.

Joey's idea (at least what I think is his idea, based on the discussion on
debian-policy) was to build a replacement for debstd since debstd is
already "doing to much" which makes it unusable for larger/more
complicated packages.

His approach looks perfect since it actually splits up the functionality
of debstd into smaller pieces which makes it much more transparent. And if
one still does not know what's going on, one can use his commands to
create the actually commands to be pasted into debian/rules.

I think if we'd use automake (or a similar tool) the effect would be the
opposite.

(If you think I missed automake purposes totally--which is likely to be
the case--please show me how a new debian/rules file would look like.)

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian is looking     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/