Re: Another dumb idea: debugging info in .deb's

> Not only that this is an excellent idea--this is _current policy_ :-)
>
> <quote>
> 3.3.1 Binaries
>
> [...]
> Generally the following compilation parameters should be used:
>
>    CC = gcc
>    CFLAGS = -O2 -g -Wall # sane warning options vary between programs
>    LDFLAGS = # none
>    install -s # (or use strip on the files in debian/tmp)
>
> Note that all installed binaries should be stripped, either by using the
> -s flag to install, or by calling strip on the binaries after they have
> been copied into debian/tmp but before the tree is made into a package.

Almost - except that if the 'install -s' method is used, getting binaries
with debugging info requires editing Makefiles instead of editing the
debian/rules file (which would be non-brainer in comparison).  What would
be nice if there was one consistent method for building packages with
debugging info - which is why I prefer the debian/rules approach.

Cheers,

 - Jim