Re: To doc or not to doc, that's the question. (long RFC)

Hi!

Your idea is certainly worth a discussion.

A few notes:

  1. Your solution of moving the doc-packages upside in the archive means
that there is a new "distribution" besides the usual "Debian GNU/Linux"
distribution. (Debian always wanted to be considered as "base" for other
distributions.) With this, the "DDD" (Debian Doc Distribution :-) would
get its own release schedule (if that's necessary) and so on.

     Of course, dependencies would get harder. (A package in main may not
depend on a package outside of main, for example.)

  2. We'd have to define some policy to tell where a doc package goes. If
"emacs" is in main, I'd like to have emacs-doc there too. But the
`bible-kjv' package, for example, could be moved to the new distrib.

  3. Some time ago, someone asks whether we should package up the whole
e-texts from Project Gutenberg. Maybe the new distribution would be the
right place?

  4. Some docs _are_ version dependent so these should stay in main (using
the same stable/unstable cycle as the programs itself). For example, I'd
like to have the same version of the man pages as of the program it
documents.

  5. Each language could have its own doc-distrib or there is only one big
doc-distrib with `sections' for each language.

Just a few notes (not really worth 2 cents),

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/