Re: shlibs policy?

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, David Engel wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 1997 at 11:04:04AM -0400, Brian White wrote:
> > > It should match what is required on a "Depends:" line, i.e. the
> > > version number is optional.  If you happen to find a package which
> > > should have a version number because of compatibility problems and
> > > doesn't, file a bug report.
> >
> > I just noted that "libc6" didn't have a version number.
> >
> > I realize that it isn't it required on the depends line, but would it not
> > be a good idea to always include it?
>
> A good idea, probably.  Required, no.

As I understood this, a version number in the file provided by the library
causes shlibdeps to specify that version in the depends line. If you
always include it for libc6, (or for any library for that matter) don't
you create unnecessary version dependencies? I had assumed you would only
put a version number in the file if there were sufficient difference in
the new version to require explicit dependence for packages built against
it. Have I missed something?

Waiting is,

Dwarf