Re: Once again: libc6 packages compatibility etc...

On 15 Sep 1997 10:18:48 CDT Guy Maor (maor@ece.utexas.edu) wrote:

> Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> writes:
>
> > Is that correct (including the `g' placement) ?
>
> Actually I placed the `g' before the version in my package.  What is
> the correct way to do this?  What is Redhat doing?

So what's the consensus for the `g' ? Before of after the lib soname ?

> > Is it acceptable that libfoo5 depends on libfoo5g ? I think so
> > because:
> >   1) When upgrading, dselect will automagically grab the libc6 library
> >   2) Some documentation for example can be put in libfoo5g only.
>
> No, it is unacceptable.  When upgrading, dselect will NOT grab the
> libc6 library as its name is different.  The documentation is
> cosmetic.  The dependency should in fact be *reversed* - libfoo5g
> should depend on libfoo5.  libfoo5 files will be overwritten by
> libfoo5g files which will break binaries on the system.

Err, I fail to understand why this is not ok: I'm talking about releases of libfoo5 and libfoo5g made to work together. Typically:

	libfoo5g: (Depends: libc6)
		/usr/lib/libfoo.so.5
		/usr/doc/libfoo5g/...

	libfoo5: (Depends: libc5, libfoo5g)
		/usr/lib/libc5-compat/libfoo.so.5
		/usr/doc/libfoo5 -> libfoo5g

To me having the opposite, that is a libc6 libfoo5g depending on a libc5 libfoo is at least annoying: this means that if I only have libc6 package depending on libfoo5g, I'll have to drag along the old libc5 libfoo5.

Phil.