Re: FTP site organization

Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:

> It changes constantly

It hasn't changed since hamm was released.

> ftp/pub/debian/
> 	stable -> dists/stable
> 	frozen -> dists/frozen
> 	unstable -> dists/unstable
> 	dists/stable		(symlink to current stable distribution)
> 	dists/frozen		(symlink to current frozen distribution)
> 	dists/unstable		(symlink to current development distribution)
> 	dists/<dist>/		(actual location of distribution files)
> 		main/		(main distribution files)
> 		non-free/	(non free distribution files [1])
> 		non-US/		(non US distribution files [2])

This is almost identical to what I'm doing now except for two things.
First, there is no non-US placeholder.  Second, the toplevel symlink
of unstable doesn't exist as it's redundant and appears to be
backward-compatible but actually isn't.

> - All "Packages" files will give the "Filename:" field relative start with
>   "dists/...".

hamm already does.

> [1] note that contrib is to merged into non-free since it has been pointed
>     out that it is largely redundant

No, it isn't redundant.  The issue of how to differentiate main,
non-free, and contrib is already decided.

> [2] this directory will be empty in most places, but provides a convient
>     "mount-point" for those who combine the distributions elsewhere

Non-US people - feel free to mount it there if you wish.  A
placeholder isn't necessary.

Guy