Re: FTP site organization

On 15 Sep 1997, Guy Maor wrote:

> Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:
>
> > It changes constantly
>
> It hasn't changed since hamm was released.
>
> > ftp/pub/debian/
> > 	stable -> dists/stable
> > 	frozen -> dists/frozen
> > 	unstable -> dists/unstable
> > 	dists/stable		(symlink to current stable distribution)
> > 	dists/frozen		(symlink to current frozen distribution)
> > 	dists/unstable		(symlink to current development distribution)
> > 	dists/<dist>/		(actual location of distribution files)
> > 		main/		(main distribution files)
> > 		non-free/	(non free distribution files [1])
> > 		non-US/		(non US distribution files [2])
>
> This is almost identical to what I'm doing now except for two things.
> First, there is no non-US placeholder.  Second, the toplevel symlink
> of unstable doesn't exist as it's redundant and appears to be
> backward-compatible but actually isn't.

If there is an empty non-US directory at the dist level, isn't this going
to cause problem for sites that mirror that distribution and actually have
a non-US directory that contains something? Wouldn't the mirror try to
empty that directory to make it look like the master site?
I don't see how having this "empty" directory helps dselect get its act
together.

Luck,

Dwarf