Re: FTP site organization

> > ftp/pub/debian/
> >       stable -> dists/stable
> >       frozen -> dists/frozen
> >       unstable -> dists/unstable
> >       dists/stable            (symlink to current stable distribution)
> >       dists/frozen            (symlink to current frozen distribution)
> >       dists/unstable          (symlink to current development distribution)
> >       dists/<dist>/           (actual location of distribution files)
> >               main/           (main distribution files)
> >               non-free/       (non free distribution files [1])
> >               non-US/         (non US distribution files [2])
>
> Isn't this basically what we have now?  (except for the non-US stuff)
>
> Of course, the locations for bo shouldn't be changed.

It is much that way logically, yes.  I just want to make it "policy".

> > - All "Packages" files will give the "Filename:" field relative start with
> >   "dists/...".
>
> Shouldn't the Filename: be relative to the Packages file?

Unfortunately, dselect does not work this way.  It needs to know the location
from a common directory.

> > [1] note that contrib is to merged into non-free since it has been pointed
> >     out that it is largely redundant
>
> I don't think that was the general consensus.  I think 'contrib' is for
> DFSG stuff that depends on non-free stuff.  The policy manual is pretty
> clear now.

Is it?  When I followed the discussion, the consensus seemed to be going
the other way.  I'll look into it.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )