Re: should fte provide /usr/bin/editor?

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Riku Voipio wrote:

> The policy is requiring that all editors should provide an
> /usr/bin/editor via update-alternatives (4.2), but I'm not sure if it's
> good for fte to provide one.
>
> Why?
>
> Because it has 2 executables, one for X and another one for console (they
> can't be compiled in the same binary), and the console version doesn't work
> on anywhere else but on a virtual console. I could provide a wrapper script
> that would launch xfte when in X and vfte when on console, but it wouldn't
> fill all cases (such like telnet connections), and I suppose /usr/bin/editor
> is ment to be used when everithing else fails...

I agree with you that fte has too much "problems" to make it provide
/usr/bin/editor.

When I try to run vfte on a virtual console as non-root, I get:

$ vfte
open: permission denied
failed to open /dev/vcsa*
$ ls -l /dev/vcsa*
crw-------   1 root     sys        7, 128 Jan  1  1970 /dev/vcsa
crw-------   1 root     sys        7, 129 Jan  1  1970 /dev/vcsa1
crw-------   1 root     sys        7, 130 Jan  1  1970 /dev/vcsa2
crw-------   1 root     sys        7, 131 Jan  1  1970 /dev/vcsa3
crw-------   1 root     sys        7, 132 Jan  1  1970 /dev/vcsa4
crw-------   1 root     sys        7, 133 Jan  1  1970 /dev/vcsa5
crw-------   1 root     sys        7, 134 Jan  1  1970 /dev/vcsa6
crw-------   1 root     sys        7, 135 Jan  1  1970 /dev/vcsa7
crw-------   1 root     sys        7, 136 Jan  1  1970 /dev/vcsa8
$

Does this work for you?

In addition, ?fte will only start if you have a (working) ~/.fterc file.
No, I don't think it should provide editor.

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,