Re: trouble making a package [another howto?]

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Will Lowe wrote:

> k.  Still having trouble with deb-make,  but getting there slowly.
> I've read all the packaging manuals, but I'm still getting some weird
> errors.  Here's the list of steps I've found which seem to work ok.
> Please let me know if this is *wrong* or needs modification,  so I make
> sure I'm doing it right.
>         1) Untar sources into $prefix/packagename-version.number/ (in this
>                 case, clisp-1997.08.07/) hereafter called $clisp
>         2) cd $clisp and do "deb-make" to
>                 a) make $prefix/clisp-1997.08.07.orig directory containing
>                         unmodified source,  etc.
>                 b) generate $clisp/debian directory
>                         containing various files (copyright,  etc.)
>                         which will need to be modified.
>         3) edit $clisp/debian/rules "build" section  to properly compile
>                 the package. In my case this required a few intermediate
>                 steps (with each depending on the output of the previous),
>                 so I was better off just compiling the thing by
>                 hand.  I gather that this is frowned upon,  as it's
>                 difficult for others to follow later.

No, you can't do that. The compilation process must be automatically.

If the steps are depending on the output of previous commands, you'll have
to write a simple script that does this for you. However, I don't think
that this is necessary. Can you show us the script?

>         4) set up $clisp/debian/* files including control,  changelog
>                 (via 'dch'),  copyright.  Any directories that the
>                 program's installation will affect should go into the
>                 debian/dirs file, one per line.  Eg.:  clisp puts an
>                 executable in /usr/bin,  some memory images in /usr/lib/lisp,
>                 and a manpage in /usr/man/man1, so each of these
>                 directories is listed (one per line) in the "dirs" file.
>         5) from $clisp,  run "sudo debian/rules" if you're using it to
>                 compile.
>         6) set up $clisp/debian/rules "binary-arch" section to install the
>                 files into $clisp/debian/tmp.
>                 At this point you should basically have a complete working
>                 copy of the program and its required (to be installed)
>                 files installed in a "fake filesystem" with /usr/,
>                 /usr/bin,  etc,  where / is $clisp/debian/tmp.
>         Question:  Is this the point where I should copy other files that
>         the makefile doesn't install (eg. extra docs) into this new "fake"
>         tree? Deb-make does this as part of one step by making the
>         assumption that the makefile installs the package correctly.  If I
>         want to make changes,  I should do it _now_,  before
>         dpkg-gencontrol runs,  right?

You should install the other files between the "make install" line and the
"debstd" call, I think. You must not touch debian/tmp after calling
debstd, since debstd generated md5sums for all your files.

>         7) from $clisp do "sudo build" to create the package.

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/