Re: pax - License

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, David Frey wrote:

> Dear Collegues,
>
> I'm in the course of recompiling my packages to libc6 and during that I
> found that pax has the following copyright:
>
> Licensing
>
>     Copyright (c) 1989 Mark H. Colburn.
>     All rights reserved.
>
>     Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
>     provided that the above copyright notice is duplicated in all such
>     forms and that any documentation, advertising materials, and other
>     materials related to such distribution and use acknowledge that the
>     software was developed by Mark H. Colburn.
>
>     THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
>     IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
>     WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
> Comments? Should I drop the package? If I read the license correctly I am
> not allowed to change something in it [I haven't changed anything, but I've
> added the debian-Subdirectory. Christoph, have you changed anything in pax?]

We don't change anything in the distributed source files. Any changes you
make to the provided source only shows up in the diff. However, you are
still correct, since the license is vague about modified binaries, which
we certainly will need to distribution.

I might suggest asking the author for clarification and possible
re-wording of his copyright. Otherwise, I think you are right, it isn't
Free Software if a modified binary is not distributable.

Luck,

Dwarf