Re: Tetris packages - need a less-trademarked name

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Jim Pick wrote:

> Anyways, it's not worth fighting over, because you'll lose.  Rename the
> package, and use the words "tetris-like" in the description.

to the issue we are dealing with here.

The packages in question do NOT violate the trademark:  the packages name
is "xtetris", not "tetris"  The lawyers have stepped beyond their bounds,
and their lawsuit WILL be thrown out as frivolous if we choose our words
wisely

Yes, do consult a lawyer friend... but even better, PAY that
friend to come up with an eloquent appeal to get the case thrown out of
court.  Laywer who arent being paid (even if only a little bit) almost
always do a shitty job

People, this sounds like a case for the EFF and the League for Programming
Freedom.  Anyone care to contact them?

They have the legal resources and cash that we dont have, and this is
RIGHT up their ally.  We can win, and we MUST win.  The camel is trying to
get its nose in the tent.

Bruce, do you want to contact the LPF, or shall I?  Not even being a
developer, I dont feel its my place, but dammit, someone has to do it.

Good Day.

Jonathan Walther