Re: xlib6g and emacs (and others)

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, David Engel wrote:

> The problem is that emacs was built with '-rpath /usr/X11R6/lib'
> causing it to use the libc6-based X libs instead of the libc5-based
> ones.  This could have happened because emacs explicitly uses this
> option or because it was built with an old xlib6-dev package which
> automatically included it.  I've already filed a bug on emacs for this
> yesterday.
>
> The quickest way to work around the problem without removing xlib6g is
> to edit the emacs binary, search for "/usr/X11R6/lib" and replace
> "usr/X11R6/lib" with ASCII NUL characters.  If you don't know how or

You also need to check that that path isn't followed by a / (you're
destroying other search paths for other things if it is). And it doesn't
have to be NULs, anything that isn't a directory with X libs in will do :)

I used the following little script:

#!/bin/sed -f
s|/usr/X11R6/lib\([^/]\)|/usr/zzzzz/lib\1|