Re: In praise of fakeroot

debstd is a script coming with the debmake package. debmake also contains
a script called build to make building of debian packages easy. If you
have debmake installed just go to the sourcedirectory and try typing
"build".

You can find documentation in /usr/doc/debmake. Most of debmake consists
of shell scripts that can be easily read.