Re: In praise of fakeroot

On Thu, Sep 04, 1997 at 07:48:09PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> I have played around with fakeroot and its really an amazing package. I
> would like to have dpkg use that by default. This seems to be the final
> solution to the security issues with building packages.
>
> Debmake was released today with a "build" command that will automatically
> build the package using fakeroot if it has not been equipped with
> superuser rights.

Could someone give me a quick rundown on what debmake does exactly?
I based my package on hello-debmake from projects/experimental,
but as I recall it only uses debstd, not debmake, and I just
build it with dpkg-buildpackage. Is there a better tool?

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.