Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
[major snip]
>  1.3.1 to 3.0? 4.0?  Why break Debian for FSF stupidity? (1/2 ;-)

That comment, even with a smiley, is somewhat unwarranted in this case.

Debian had problems with GNU `install-info'.  So they wrote their own
version, and wrongly (with 20/20 hindsight) didn't change its name.

People working on some GNU packages had problems with this, and chose to
work around it.  I don't know if they filed a bug-report w/ Debian or
not.

Overall, a mildly-to-badly broken situation for some users on Debian who
would like to install some package that uses `install-info', and
unfortunately has `/usr/sbin' in his PATH.  (that's not so rare -- I
have had /usr/sbin on my path due to some sysadm having put it into the
default .cshrc that gets put into every new user's a/c).

Mild-brokenness: having to manually edit info/dir to add the menu entry.
  (effect of `automake's workaround)
brokenness: unexpected failure of `make install'

Sounds like Debian brokenness to me.  I'll say -- why not break Debian
for Debian's stupidity?

- Hari