Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> I strongly object! Please don't rename our install-info just because the
> FSF has a program with the same name. Every package out there that
> installs GNU info docs uses this script and might fail.

Wait a minute, from what I understood, every non-debian package installing
GNU info docs was already failing.  I'm trying to fix something that is
broken, not break something that is working.

Didn't you understand that the whole idea behind the script was to keep
using the install-info for the debian-packages, but generate a warning so
they will eventually convert over the the dinstall-info?  Perhaps this is
more clear in the compromise I recently posted.

> I'd vote for installing FSF's install-info with a different name, for
> example "gnu-install-info".

But non-debian packages are looking for install-info and will use debians
incompatable version.  IIRC, the default root path has /usr/sbin before
/usr/bin, and this is from bash itself, not /etc/profile.  So what you are
suggesting is to modify the default root path to install non-debian
packages, a bad hack IMHO.

Comments?
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html
                  PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu
"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds