Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> If install-info have a different interface with the same name, we should
> change it.  However, an immediate change would probably upset some people.
> Instead, move debian's install-info to dinstall-info and make a script
> where /usr/sbin/install-info was:

I strongly object! Please don't rename our install-info just because the
FSF has a program with the same name. Every package out there that
installs GNU info docs uses this script and might fail.

I'd vote for installing FSF's install-info with a different name, for
example "gnu-install-info".

People that use our .debs will not need it anyways. AFAIK, the
"gnu-install-info" will only be needed by people that want to compile and
install their own GNU software. As this should only be done below
/usr/local, these people could make a symlink
	/usr/local/bin/install-info -> /usr/bin/gnu-install-info
to get the right version. (Of course, root's PATH should have /usr/bin in
front of /usr/local/bin in that case.)

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com