Re: bzip2 -- no longer non-us?

On bzip2 vs gzip in .deb's -- we should optimize for space, not speed.
So I'm in favour of modifying the .deb file format to using bzip2 for
the data.tar.gz branch of the file.

If it takes me 6x longer to unpack a package on my 386, I'm not going
to complain.  The .deb file format is basically an off-line archive
format - it isn't undergoing constant compression/decompression.

On the other hand, bzip2 wouldn't be appropriate for compressing man pages.

It would be very nice if I could cram another 20% more packages into my
local Debian mirror (which is close to capacity).

Cheers,

 - Jim