Re: bzip2 -- no longer non-us?

> On bzip2 vs gzip in .deb's -- we should optimize for space, not speed.
> So I'm in favour of modifying the .deb file format to using bzip2 for
> the data.tar.gz branch of the file.

So am I. But actually, if/when we are going to change this, I'd
_love_ to be able to set an environment variable for the
debian/rules binary stage that says
"Use gzip -1 now, I'm only testing". Although in a usual build the
compile takes much longer than any compression, when testing the
resulting .deb, one often has to execute `debian/rules binary` several
times, and then waiting 6 times as long wouldn't be acceptable.

We should, of cource, not accept those suboptimal packages in the
archive itself, but it would
  - be easy to test for them in the dinstall script, and
  - be easy to convert a "gzipped" data.tar.gz into a bzip2ped one,
  - for me anyway, when I finally got a working .deb file, I usually
    remove that .deb anyway and start "dpkg-build -rfakeroot" again,
    to be sure everything built properly. That final time I'd do it without
    the envrionemnt variable set, anyway.

So, could we (if/when dpkg-deb starts using bzip2 by default) have
an option/environment variable that tells it what zip to use?

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj