Re: Dumb question about Debian packages

> > Hi,
> >
> > please accept my apologies for a such a dumb question like this (I
> > am just starting as a developer and am having a heck of a time
> > compiling packages designed for libc5 with libc6):
> >
> > is it legal, or more than legal _reasonable_ that a Debian developer
> > makes changes to the upstream source code to make the package
> > compile with libc6 headers and libraries?
>
> There's nothing wrong with making changes to the software to make
> it work - after all, that's why we are using Free Software.

There's nothing wrong with
  - making mods to the debian source (ie add debian .diffs)
  - sending diffs to the upstream maintainer, and ask him to change that

But "make changes to the upstream source code" seems to imply that he
wants to modify foo.0.1.orig.tar.gz -- and _that_ should not happen!

Keep foo.0.1.orig.tar.gz as close to the original source as possible,
and only modify the debian files. (I assume this is what you indended,
but I'd like to make this clear anyway).

Thanks,

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj