Re: egcs (New GCC)

Bill Mitchell wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Vincent Renardias wrote:
>
> > > It would be really nice if we could have gcc and egcc installed
> > > concurrently. [...]
> >
> > I'm not sure this is a good thing. Different gcc versions can
> co-exist,
> > when one is set up as native compiler, and the others as
> cross-compilers;
> > but I'm not sure it's possible to have 2 native gcc on the same
> machine
> > without horrible kludges. What do the other think?
>
> I'm not sure to what extent this is considered a horrible kluge,
> but I recall that we had alternate compilers for a.out and elf
> back when rex was unstable.  The elf tools were installed in
> /usr/bin, and the a,out tools were installed in something like
> /usr/lib/i386-aout/bin.  The elf tools were used by default to
> do elf builds.  To do a.out builds, it was just necessary to
> pre-pend /usr/lib/i386-aout/bin to $PATH, and then build as
> normal.  The a.out tools then got used, and they used the a.out
> libraries, etc.

It was indeed a horrible kludge...but is unnecessary in our case.  Two
native gcc's can indeed coexist.  Both gcc and egcc are configured as
$(arch)-linux, but under /usr/lib/gcc-lib/$(arch)-linux, the gcc files
are under 2.7.2.2, and the egcs files are under egcs-2.90.00.  They
don't get in each other's way.

--Galen