Re: egcs (New GCC)

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> > It would be really nice if we could have gcc and egcc installed
> > concurrently. [...]
>
> I'm not sure this is a good thing. Different gcc versions can co-exist,
> when one is set up as native compiler, and the others as cross-compilers;
> but I'm not sure it's possible to have 2 native gcc on the same machine
> without horrible kludges. What do the other think?

I'm not sure to what extent this is considered a horrible kluge,
but I recall that we had alternate compilers for a.out and elf
back when rex was unstable.  The elf tools were installed in
/usr/bin, and the a,out tools were installed in something like
/usr/lib/i386-aout/bin.  The elf tools were used by default to
do elf builds.  To do a.out builds, it was just necessary to
pre-pend /usr/lib/i386-aout/bin to $PATH, and then build as
normal.  The a.out tools then got used, and they used the a.out
libraries, etc.