Re: Doing CVS based Package maintainence

Hi,
>>"Jim" == Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

Jim> [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
>> c) cvs-upgrade Given a package a new upstream source (possibly
>> unpacked already), a package name/version, (or a debian/changelog
>> file) it imports the new upstream sources, and then checks out the
>> latest version (-jsource-dist:yesterday -jsource-dist:Today)
>> incorporating the new upstream patches.
>>
>> You should be ready to check things and commit them when satisfied.

Jim> Does this mean that we would have the opportunity to take a
Jim> standard Debian source package (imported into a vendor branch),
Jim> do our own custom modifications to it, and cvs-upgrade would
Jim> handle merging in the custom modifications with the upgraded
Jim> Debian source?  Or would that be separate step?  I've never used
Jim> cvs to track upstream sources, so I'm not clear on that.

	Yes, to the extent that this is a machine mediated merge, and
 you'll have to check the results or manually edit the file to
 resolve overlapping/conflictiong changes (they are clearly marked in
 the merged file).

	IMHO it works quite well in most of the cases.

	manoj
--
 The vigor of civilized societies is preserved by the widespread sense
 that high aims are worth-while.  Vigorous societies harbor a certain