Re: Doing CVS based Package maintainence

>>"Jim" == Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

Jim> [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
>> c) cvs-upgrade Given a package a new upstream source (possibly
>> unpacked already), a package name/version, (or a debian/changelog
>> file) it imports the new upstream sources, and then checks out the
>> latest version (-jsource-dist:yesterday -jsource-dist:Today)
>> incorporating the new upstream patches.
>> You should be ready to check things and commit them when satisfied.

Jim> Does this mean that we would have the opportunity to take a
Jim> standard Debian source package (imported into a vendor branch),
Jim> do our own custom modifications to it, and cvs-upgrade would
Jim> handle merging in the custom modifications with the upgraded
Jim> Debian source?  Or would that be separate step?  I've never used
Jim> cvs to track upstream sources, so I'm not clear on that.

	Yes, to the extent that this is a machine mediated merge, and
 you'll have to check the results or manually edit the file to
 resolve overlapping/conflictiong changes (they are clearly marked in
 the merged file).

	IMHO it works quite well in most of the cases.

 The vigor of civilized societies is preserved by the widespread sense
 that high aims are worth-while.  Vigorous societies harbor a certain
 extravagance of objectives, so that men wander beyond the safe
 provision of personal gratifications.  All strong interests easily
 become impersonal, the love of a good job well done.  There is a
 sense of harmony about such an accomplishment, the Peace brought by
 something worth-while. Alfred North Whitehead, 1963, in "The History
 of Manned Space Flight"