Re: Way to switch easily (Was: Re: Egcs, gcc, and Debian)

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Galen Hazelwood wrote:

> Shaya Potter wrote:
>
> It may not be that simple.  egcc accepts new options which don't exist
> on gcc, and in the future may lose options which gcc needs.  For now you
> can use "gcc -b i486-pc-linux-gnu" to run egcs via the normal gcc
> frontend (minus a few new options), but that may not be true next week.
>
> I've decided emilio has the best idea.  If I've got to use
> update-alternatives, I'll use it on cc and c++.  gcc will always be gcc,
> egcc will be egcs until it becomes the standard gcc package.

Only trouble is that alot (all?) configure scripts look for GCC as gcc,
not cc. I don't think I've even seen a package that calls cc and not gcc
if gcc is installed.

That alone probably isn't worth the trouble to worry about however!

Look forward to the first egcs package!

Thanks,
Jason