Re: Way to switch easily (Was: Re: Egcs, gcc, and Debian)

On Aug 18, Galen Hazelwood wrote
> Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> > The solution I like the best is to use the /opt directory layout.
> >
> >   /opt/gcc-2.7.0
> >   /opt/gcc-2.7.2
>
> As I understand it, /opt is a ghetto for commercial packages which can't
> know in advance anything about the structure of the linux box they've
> been installed on.  I don't think that's appropriate in this case.

Indeed. If /usr/local is not to be touched by Debian, the same holds
even more for /opt. /opt is for the local sysadmin.

gcc itself already has plenty of ways to keep different versions on the
same machine, look up the -B and -V options. Having a binary called egcs
and/or a way to switch the default behaviour of ``gcc'' can be done
regardless.

--
Bart Schuller                  schuller+sig@lunatech.com At Lunalabs, where the
Lunatech Research              http://www.lunatech.com/  future is made today..