Need advice for migration to pgsql

Before uploading a pgsql_v6.1.1 package, I need some advice how to
cope with a migration problem for users who have valuable data in a

citing postgresql-v6.1.1/migration/1.09_to_6.0:

: This migration requires a complete dump of the 1.09 database and a
: restore of the database in 6.0.

: Those migrating from earlier 1.* releases should first upgrade to
: 1.09 because the COPY output format was improved from the 1.02
: release.

The postgres95 package in bo is version 1.09 - hence no intermediate
upgrade is required.

Then, the v6.1.1 INSTALL file instructs to use the pg_dumpall utility
from v6.1 up to backup an existing database.

Since pgsql replaces files from postgres95, the backup has to be run
before pgsql is unpacked or postgres95 is removed.

I'm thinking of a postgres95-migrate package where pgsql predepends
upon. Its postinst will check for postgres95 being installed and only
when this test succeeds prompt the user whether existing databases are
to be dumped. The postinst will only succeed when postgres95 is not
installed or existing databases have been successfully dumped.

Comments solicited
  Siggy