Re: Installing non-interactively/improving interactive postint-scripts

>Martin Buck wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 01, 1997 at 01:10:06AM -0400, Steve Dunham wrote:
>> > One nice thing about RPM is that the packages can be installed
>> > non-interactively.
>>
>> Can you give a short summary how rpm achieves this?
>
>Well it just doesn't ask any questions.

Actually, it is more autocratic than that.  RPM allows the equivalent
of postrm scripts.  However, when it executes them, it does not
connect stdin to the user's terminal.  The postrm script *cannot* get
any input from the user.  They have made special arrangements to
configure some packages (e.g. timezones).  You probably can't get them
to accomodate *your* package, though.  For the RPM version of my
emacspeak package (which absolutely requires user input for
configuration), I resorted to adding a request in the documentation to
run the configuration script after installation.  Ugly.

                               - Jim Van Zandt