Re: boot-time kernel selection and /System.map mismatch

Manoj Srivastava writes:

> Guy> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
> >> I see it as a defect in klogd that it does not do the same. (I
> >> think I'll file a feature request). If it did, there would be no
> >> problems with selection of kernels in lilo.
>
> Guy> There's no need.  You can specify which System.map to use, and
> Guy> the comments in /etc/init.d/sysklogd already tell you how:
>
> >> Use KLOGD="-k /boot/System.map-$(uname -r)" to specify System.map
> >>

> 	Thank you for pointing this out. That removes the last
>  technical objection that was presented alledging that kernel-package
>  produced kernel-image packages are not mulit-kernel friendly.

Err wait!

The most recent release of klogd tries to load /boot/System.map-`uname -r`
if it exists.  I have implemented it for exactly this reason (even
without someone filing a feature request).  Please take a look
at the manpage (I hope that I have updated it), at the changelog
files and at the source if it doesn't seem to work.

Remember thatn /System.map might be higher priority.

Regards

	Joey

--
  / Martin Schulze  *  Debian Linux Maintainer  *  joey@debian.org/