Re: Bug Reporting system

James Troup wrote:

> Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> > My proposal is to add an architecture field to the maintainer and
> > having one maintainer for each architecture.
>
> This is completely unworkable; there are simply not enough non-i386
> architecture maintainers.  ~6 (probably less) m68k maintainers would
> have to sign up for 1000+ packages?  As if.  The situation on sparc
> and alpha (judging by the mailing lists and the upload announcements)
> would be even worse.

Packages wouldnt have to have support for an architecture in it. When a
bug against the package is then posted the bug could be send to the
apropriate mailinlist or to some person familiar with the architecture.
For something like m68k, where there are not enough maintainers at the
moment, the mails would go the list. If someone there finds that he
knows the package and uses it frequently, he can then sign up as
maintainer for the architecture.

The benefit would be that for maintained packages the right maintainer
would be notified and for others only the right mailinglist would
recieve the bug.

If it's not workable, maybe someone can come up with somethink workable
then. Something will have to be done in the near future, as more and
more people use Debian on non i386 architectures.

> Oh, yeah and it would also break completely if/when auto-compilation
> gets under way.

Why would it break auto-compilation? I can't see a reason why. Pleas
explain a bit further.

> --
> James

May the source be with you.