Re: changes to Packages file

> Since the Packages file contains all the information about who
> created the package and where it is going, it only makes sense that
> the information on where it came from would go in there too.
>
> With this in mind, I'd like to recommend the following additions to
> the Packages file:
>
> A new field 'Source:' be created telling where the source was retrieved
> from (yes I know this info is already in the copyright file).

But this would require modification of all packages. The "Maintainer"
field can easily be automatically extracted from the .deb file,
but extracting the source location needs human intervention, as wel
as changing the .deb file itself (we'll have to have eighter an
extra /usr/doc/$package/doc/copyright.source file with just the
URL, or some other way to tell the scripts where the source is).

> An optional field 'Homepage:' be created giving the location of the
> web page for the software.

Wouldn't that field be eighter empty, or the same as the
"Source:" field? (Well, there may be both an http URL and
an ftp URL, but then you could add a gopher URL too, and probably
many more) Anyway, if we do that, would'nt it be better to call
the fields "Source-ftp", "Source-http", "Source-gopher", etc?

I do agree that it would be usefull if the .deb packages had
some standard place where they put an URL of the upstream source.
I'm not sure it's important enough change all debian packages
(that's quite a lot of work). I'm not sure we'd want to
split ftp, web, gopher, etc URL's -- if we do it, I'd say, just
specify one (or more) URL's that may be eighter ftp, http,
gopher, whathever.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj