Re: changes to Packages file

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> On 27 Jul 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > Christian> The following fields are suggested:
> >
> > Christian> Author: name and email of main upstream author (copyright
> > Christian>         holder)
> > Christian> Original-Site: site/URL at which the package is originally
> > Christian>                stored
> > Christian> Homepage: URL of the "upstream homepage"
> >
> > I like this, as long as all the field are multiline fields (like
> > Description) so multiple authors, upstream sites, and homepages maybe
> > accomodated.
>
> Yes, I plan this. I just played a bit with the control fields and
> discovered that any field can be a "multi-line field". Just use the same
> syntax as for "Description:" field: put one leading space in the first
> column and put include `.' for empty lines.

If we are to enhance the fields of the Packages file, I'd very much like a
'Date:' to be automagically added by dpkg-deb at build time, so we'll be
able to track down orphaned packages, or find which packages have not been
re-uploaded since the last full release.
However, I think we should be carefull not adding too many stuff in the
Packages file, since it's already pretty big.

	Cordialement,

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -