Re: Diety UI draft

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         Just a minor clarification: suppose there is a new package to
>  be installed. I click(or whatever) the install button, will a
>  triangle icon appear if the package has unmet dependencies (which
>  need to be installed)?

No, the triangle will always be there.  The triangle is the control
that allows you to examine the status of packages it depends on,
recommends, or suggests.

The entries in this sub-list will work just like any other entry.
The only difference is that dependencies will be marked for install
automatically when you mark the parent package for installation.
(Through user preferences you can set deity up to auto-mark-for-install
recommends and/or suggests as well).

Incidentally, the last column on the selection list will list all
packages that need to be installed or upgraded to allow a package
to be installed.

>         If I choose to remove a package, will a triangle button
>  automagically appear that shows all packages dependent on the package
>  scheduled for removal?

No.  As I explained above, the sub-list is only for dependancies/
recommends/suggests of hat package and is always present if these
fields exist for the package.

As far as removing a package, (if you have this feature turned on)
some of the packages it depends on (which will be shown in the
sub-list) might be also marked for removal (but only if they were
originally installed automatically, and no other package depends
on them).  In this case, these dependencies will be shown to be
marked for removal in the sub-list.

As far as removing a package on which other packages depend, deity
will not allow you to do that.  i.e. if package A depends on B,
you cannot remove B until A has been removed.

I hope these answer your questions.

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com