Re: Uploaded ld.so 1.8.10-2.1 (source i386) to master

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, David Engel wrote:

> On Jul 18, Bruce Perens wrote
> > Christian is the security manager. I think he's trying to establish a
> > response-time of less than 48 hours for security bugs. I can see how a
> > maintainer handshake could easily take 24 hours. Please discuss
> > procedures with him, and hopefully you can work it out so that
> > maintainers are not surprised but we still get the fixes out in time.
>
> Not being notified of a bug fix release is only part of why I'm upset.
> The other part is that the bug report and fix have supposedly been
> known for some time and nobody forwarded them to me.  From a message I
> received from Alan Cox earlier today, "I sent it to Bruce a while
> ago".
>
> As far as quick response times go, I don't think 24, or even 48, hours
> is unreasonable for bugs that have existed for weeks, months or years.
> At the very least, the appropriate maintainer should be notified that
> a bug fix release is going to made.

I second that. And it's current policy anyways (cf. Debian Developer's
Reference, section 3.3 Interim Releases):

``Maintainers other than the usual package maintainer should make as few
changes to the package as possible, and they should always send a unified
context diff (diff -u) detailing their changes to the bug tracking system
properly flagged with the correct package so that the usual maintainer is
kept aware of the situation.''

Cheers,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/