Re: Packaging system improvements

> 1. We need to add a "Keywords: ..." line to the control file for each
>    package. However, the success of this depends more on the keywords
>    individual maintainers put in their packages keyword lists than the
>    presence of special features for it.

We need to create a standard list of keywords for people to chose from.
Maintainers are of course free to add others, but having a common set
will help keep from having similar keywords like "texteditor" and
"text-editor".

> 2. We need a way of including and excluding specific directories from
>    the install of a package, or moving them. This will be dealt with
>    by deity, but the main "dpkg" program should also be capable of
>    handling this.

Should mention the current idea...

1.8 Local Policies File:

Each computer will have a file which defines what files to delete and what
files to move when installing a package. By this I mean a file like the
following:

Figure X: An example of a Local Policies File

delete  /usr/doc/
check   /usr/doc/
verify  /usr/doc/
replace /usr/man/       /usr/share/man/
backup  /usr/share/     /usr/local/share/

The first line ("delete") means that files normally installed in /usr/doc
should be omitted.

The second line ("check") means that files normally installed in /usr/doc
should be omitted, but to make sure that those files already exist under
/usr/doc (this may be a network mounted drive managed by another computer).

The third line ("verify") is just like a "check" except it also verifies
that the files are the same using the equivalent of diff(1).

The fourth line ("replace") means that files normally installed in /usr/man
should be installed in /usr/share/man/ instead.

The fifth line ("backup") means that files normally installed in /usr/share
should be installed in /usr/local/share/ instead, but to make sure that
those files already exist under /usr/share (this may be a network mounted
drive managed by another computer).

> 3d. We need to be able to distribute cleanly Debian
>     source-modifications if we can't distribute upstream sources.

This shouldn't require anything more than the .diff.gz file currently
supplied.

> 3e. We need a method of building packages as a non-root user.
> 3f. We need "Source-Depends". This in turn dictates that we need a
>     "Packages.src" file.

Do we really?

> 3a. I propose we use "/usr/src" as the base location, and then divide
>     the packaged into sections as done with the archive in binaries,
>     so e.g. the source for CVS would be unpacked into
>     "/usr/src/devel/cvs-1.9-4". We might also want symbolic links for
>     binary package names, e.g. "/usr/src/devel/cvs-pcl".

Sounds reasonable.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )